Skip to main content

The Gift of Laughter: Advice From an Amazing Gentleman

I'd like to tell you about a man who was a profound inspiration in my life... I never even had the pleasure of speaking with him, but the imprint he has left on my heart and life is truly awesome. This gentleman was in his middle seventies when I had the honor of being in his presence.

He was a retired college professor, and was taking part in talking to my Developmental Psychology class about the aging process. He was very frail, and yet he had a heart and spirit, which were so infectious that they dominated the room. I remember him telling us, "I have over half a dozen different types of cancer, and I know that laughter is the best medicine, because what can I do except to laugh and go on!"

He was actually laughing as he made this statement. I was profoundly moved by this man's attitude. Despite all the pain he dealt with on a daily basis, he still managed to be happy, and even laugh about it all! "Wow," I thought, "if he can laugh about life, who am I to complain? I should be laughing, too!"

Again, I didn't take the opportunity to thank him for the vital lesson he stamped on my heart. He went to be with God about a month later, and I've always regretted not finding a way to talk with him. Yet, his words, and amazing spirit of fun and joy, have forever stayed with me.

When life gets you down, and you feel too hopeless to go on, try giving yourself a good dose of laughter... even if you can only laugh at how incredibly bad things seem right then, it may be enough to give you a little hope for the future.

Like the amazing gentleman of my story said, sometimes we just have to laugh at our situation, and go on in spite of it all. And somehow, some way, that ability to laugh, along with a little faith, will see us through to a new day of promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Obstacles in Our Way

In ancient times, a king had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the king’s wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it. Many loudly blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the big stone out of the way. Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. On approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. As the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the boulder had been. The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what many others never understand. Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve one’s condition.

Never Chase A Lie

Broken promises cause the world's greatest accidents. You can't make wrong work. Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom. Never chase a lie: if you leave it alone, it will run itself to death. Everything you add to the truth, you inevitably subtract from it.  A lie will add to your troubles, subtract from your energy, multiply your difficulties and divide your effectiveness. Never view anything positively that makes you break your word. Make your word your bond. 

Character..

Character is the aggregate sum total of one's distinctive moral and mental qualities. Every man has in himself a continent of undiscovered character, however it is not a natural endowment we are born with.  It is something that each individual forms of itself, with a continuous process in every thought, every action, every deed, every feeling which contributes to the education  faculty of our attitudes and habits.  Character is just like cloud of smoke, it can never be concealed or hidden because it will find its way out. Character is a magnet that attracts the right people to you. It is the real foundation of all worth while success.  "Thoughts leads on purposes, purposes go forth in action, action from habits, habits decides character, and character defines our destiny" (Tryon Edwards). Would your reputation recognize your character if they met in the dark? Would the boy you were be proud of the man you are?