Skip to main content

The Tea Cup


There was a couple who used to go to England to shop in the beautiful stores. They both liked antiques and pottery and specially teacups. This was their twentyfifth wedding anniversary.

One day in this beautiful shop they saw a beautiful teacup. They said, "May we see that"? We‘ve never seen one quite so beautiful. As the lady handed it to them, suddenly the teacup spoke.

"You don‘t understand", it said.

I haven‘t always been a teacup. There was a time when I was red and I was clay.  My master took me and rolled me and patted me over and over and I yelled out, "let me alone", but he only smiled, "Not yet".

Then I was placed on a spinning wheel, the teacup said, and suddenly I was spun around and around and around.

"Stop it! I‘m getting dizzy!" I screamed. But the master only nodded and said, "Not yet".

Then he put me in the oven.  I never felt such heat.  I wondered why He wanted to burn me, and I yelled and knocked at the door.  I could See him through the opening and I could read his lips as he shook his head,  Not yet.

Finally the door opened, he put me on the shelf, and I began to cool. "There, that‘s better", I said.  And he brushed and painted me all over. The fumes were horrible. I thought I would gag.
"Stop it, stop it!" I cried. He only nodded, "Not yet".

Then suddenly he put me back into the oven, not like the first one. This was twice as hot and I knew I would suffocate.  I begged.  I pleaded. I screamed.  I cried.  All the time I could see him through the opening nodding his head saying, "Not yet".  Then I knew there wasn‘t any hope.  I would never make it.  I was ready to give up.

But the door opened and he took me out and placed me on the shelf.  One hour later he handed me a mirror and said, "Look at yourself".

And I did. I said, That‘s not me; that couldn‘t be me. It‘s beautiful. I‘m beautiful!

"I want you to remember, then", he said.

I know it hurts to be rolled and patted, but if I had left you alone, you‘d have dried up".
I know it made you dizzy to spin around on the wheel, but if I had stopped, you would have crumbled. I knew it hurt and was hot and disagreeable in the oven, but if I hadn‘t put you there, you would have cracked.

I know the fumes were bad when I brushed and painted you all over, but if I had done that, you never would have hardened; you would not have had any color in your life.
And if I hadn‘t put you back in that second oven, you wouldn't survive for very long because the hardness would not have held.  Now you are a finished product. You are what I had in mind when first began with you.

I guess by now you already know what the story is all about. Pains, trials, difficulties in life. A nonstop, continuous action packed adventure. That‘s what life is, and the blows, well, they keep coming.

Guess what‘s happening? The Master is putting us His clay into the oven in order to break us, mold us and form us into His image. God knows what He‘s doing (for all of us).

He is the Potter, and we are His clay. He will mold us and make us, so that we may be made into a flawless piece of work to fulfill His good, pleasing, and perfect will.
Think about it. Our every area of strength comes from our past "oven experience". This is why we‘re strong today and that strength, is used to help others and bring glory to His name.

Hellen Keller says: "I thank God for my handicaps, for through them, I have found myself, my work and my God".

Warren Wiersbe noted that when God permits his children to go through the furnace, he keeps his eye on the clock and his hand on the thermostat.  As for me the best thing to do is to remember that I am but clay.

But what a privilege it is to have God as my master. He completes the work He has begun in me. So don't give up, don't let up! We're all diamonds in the rough...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Haste Makes Waste

There are no shortcut to any place worth going. The way to the top is neither swift or easy. Nothing worth while ever happens in a hurry, so be patient. Your success has less to do with speed and more to do with timing and direction. The key is doing the right thing at the right time.  You are always nearer than you think. The greater oppurtunity is where you are. Do not despise your own place and hour. The most important thing in our lives is what we are doing now. Know the real value of today. The regrets that most people experience in life comes from failing to act when having an oppurtunity. Be on the outlook for oppurtunities God is sending your way. Seize the momoments! The trouble with life in the fast lane is that you get to the other end too soon. Hastes makes waste; give time, time. Many people over estimate what they can do in a year and under estimate what they can do in a life time. There is simply more to life than increasing it's speed. 

Refuse To Live a Targetless Life

The ability to set a goal is the master skill to success. Success is goals, all else is commentary. You cannot hit a target you cannot see, if you don't have one. One of the greatest mistakes and a waste of life is living without a clear purpose or goal. A life without clear goals is a life doomed to failure.  Any man who selects a goal in life which can be fully achieved has already defined his own limitation. So the clearer you are about your goal, the more rapidly you'll attract people and circumstances into your life to help make that goal a reality.  Most people have their eye on the wrong goal. Is more money, a higher position or more influence your goal? These are not goals but are the by-products of true goals. We should work to become, not acquire.  Measure wealth not by things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money. Happiness is not a reward - it's a consequence. Suffering is not a punishment - it's result. 

Value

A well known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20 bill. In the room of 200, he asked, "Who would like this $20 bill?" Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this." He proceeded to crumple the dollar bill up. He then asked, "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air. "Well," he replied, "What if I do this?" And he dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now all crumpled and dirty . "Now who still wants it?" Still the hands went into the air. "My friends, you have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20." Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that